Friday, September 4, 2009

Catching Up

Is it September already?!?

Thanks to all who wished me well in my recovery of pneumonia. I'm doing much better, and I'm almost back to normal. Just don't mind me when I break out into spontaneous coughing fits.

I took two trips to California in August. I attended my twin nieces' first birthday party, spent some time on the beach in Ventura County, reconnected with friends, relaxed, spent time with family, and ate some really great food. No trip to California is complete without visiting some of my favorites...El Torito, Jack in the Box, La Tolteca, BJ's Pizzeria, Legends Diner, and smoothies from Juice it Up.

Taylor is FINALLY done with school. He successfully completed the algebra course that's kept him from his diploma for much too long. He's sent for his transcripts and applied for graduation from Utah Valley University's Global Aviation program. He won't be able to walk for commencement until spring, but he's very relieved to say he's done with school before his 30th birthday (which is in 3 weeks). To celebrate, he was able to bust open his new XBOX 360. We purchased it months ago on a killer sale, and he faithfully kept the box sealed until he passed his final. Next week he's going on a hiking trip to Yosemite with his cousins, a desire he's had for many years. And did I mention that he turns 30 this month?

Rosie started 3rd grade two weeks ago. She likes her new school and rides her bike almost every day. She turns 9 next week and is obsessed with her birthday. I don't think we'll do much of a party for her this year, but that hasn't kept her from obsessing about it for the last 8 months.

Overall, I'm doing better than I have for the past few months. I've struggled through a "major depressive episode" that has been an experience unlike I've ever had. I'm working with a great counselor and getting regulated on some meds. I'm still living life day to day, but I'm feeling more hope. I'm back into the job search, but it's been frustrating to see the lack of opportunities and low pay scale(especially in Utah County) I'm pretty sure I want to stick with administrative positions in healthcare...but I wouldn't mind a change either. I miss the security of earning a regular paycheck and helping provide for the family.

As odd as this may sound...I've been missing Michigan. I was unhappy for much of the time we lived there, but recently I've been thinking about the friends I made there and how beautiful it was last fall. There's been rumors about displacements within Taylor's company which might move him back to Detroit, or possibly Memphis. It would be a good thing because he's flown so few hours on reserve this year in Atlanta. If he's ever going to upgrade to captain...he needs to be flying a more intense schedule. We're sad that we're living apart, but there's a sense of stability I'm feeling in Spanish Fork that makes me wonder if we're supposed to stick around here for a while. It breaks my heart that Rosie's already on her 4th school in 3rd grade. Unfortunately, that means that Taylor and I will have to live apart for an undetermined amount of time. It's not preferable, but we're making it work.

Recent guilty pleasures: chocolate-covered cinnamon bears, Dooce, Hulu, melon Hi-Chew, Diet Dr. Pepper, and Connie and Carla. Oh, and I made the BEST batch of my banana bread ever this week. I want more...mmmmm!!

4 comments:

Gabrielle Valentine said...

I won't pretend to remember all the places you've lived from reading your blog but I know you've been all over and after a while that has to be trying when you factor in a relationship and a daughter. I am glad your husband is finished school. I hope you don't feel guilty about going through depression - it is a struggle. I wound up in the hospital from depressive periods of time. Better now, but it is tough. Try to find little things to smile about and if you can do one thing a day that you didn't do the day before - you're doing well. =) Hang in there. It's not easy but you are a strong person.

Hizzeather said...

Good to hear from you! Sounds like life is on an upswing....yay!

Unknown said...

it is good to hear from you. good your health is taking a turn for the better..
good to hear all is well/well as can be expected. i am glad Spanish Fork is treating you well. keep us up on what is going on. lag time between posts is hard when it comes down to your depression. some of know depression well and worry about you!! {i like Gabriell have spent time in the hospital due to depression.} so even a shout out to say your still here helps!
stay close to the lord.. you know that's what helps the most.

Rachel said...

I miss the FALL in the midwest too! I would move back to Ohio in a heartbeat if I could! :)

Yay for Talyor finishing school and happy early 30th! I know it is tough on you guys to be living apart now, but its good to hear you are looing at the good in life and not dwelling on the bad. I have to remind myself daily to not dwell on the bad, it's tough not too! You and your family are in my prayers, stay strong and things WILL work out for the good!! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails